Sunday, January 6, 2013

Tweaking the Kitchen Nook

Good Afternoon my friends! I have not updated my blog in a while. I have had plenty to blog about but no energy to post. I continue to struggle with my health issues. I am looking forward to a better year. I look forward to a year of tweaking and creating and making my home into a warm and inviting place to be. I hope you enjoy the photos of my kitchen nook. Kitchen Table I needed a change in my kitchen. I had the red gingham curtains in there for two years that we have lived here. I decided to utilize some things I had on hand to make a mini redo in my kitchen nook. I bought the black and white waverly table cloth at TJ Maxx several months ago. I had the lace table topper for many years. It was most likely a yard sale find. The white rooster butter dish and gravy boat was on clearance at Sears. I had the black bowl and decided to place a red candle. Instead of so much red in the kitchen, I thought just little pops with the black and white would be nice.
Please don't laugh or think I am cheap, I am just thrifty. I made these curtains from two twin size Dan River Bed Sheets. They are of very high quality. I lined them with another set of bed sheets that were not as high of quality. Both the Dan Rivers sheets and the other set of sheets were brand new in their packages. I found both sets of sheets at a yard sale for 50 cents. The trim I found also at a yard sale for 50 cents. I made these over Christmas Holidays. I took that whole week off, so I got a lot of sewing done that week. We did not have any guest for the Christmas Holiday.

22 comments:

  1. Susan...I luv every sweet, fresh, life-breathing detail!! I pray you enjoy it for yrs to come!! Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so nice, Susan. It is very fresh and bright looking. I like black and white and think it is always so classic looking. I am sorry that you have had health issues this past year. I hope this is a year of wellness for you- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! Just goes to show you don't have to spend a ton of money to obtain a stylish look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Susan, so pretty! I have twin sheets as toppers in my sun room. I love using unusual items to decorate. Your toppers turned out beautifully. Love the tablecloth too. Very nice! Happy, healthy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan it looks great and I do love black and white with a touch of red! Glad you are feeling better and I'm wishing you a great year also!

    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan! Love the way your table looks and of course I love your chickens. Noting wrong with being thrifty and your valances look great! Thanks so much for poppingin to see me.
    be a sweetie,
    shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your curtains are beautiful. Your little breakfast nook is lovely. I buy white sheets whenever I can from charity shops and make so many things from them,including lace edged pillow cases. I have a pair of these as a give away on my blog this week. I use every scrap to make all kinds of things. I just finished making bathroom,toilet and laundry curtains from one for my daughter. Happy sewing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did such a great job on the curtains...they look lovely in your pretty room!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You kitchen looks so bright and airy...and you know I like anything "Black and White"!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the black and white combo Susan. Black, to me, is a great color for decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your curtains look lovely! Nice job on them. Happy New Year!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely kitchen table you've set. Great job on the curtains - very clever & thrifty!
    Thanks so much for your recent visit to my blog and kind comment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your kitchen nook looks so pretty and fresh, Susan. Using sheets for curtains is a great idea.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those curtains are darling! Sheets? Who knew! :)

    Have a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your table looks so pretty.....love the black and white table cloth!!!! Your window treatments turned out fabulous too! You are a very talented seamstress :o) Wishing you better health in 2013!
    Have a great weekend!
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
  16. There is nothing wrong with being thrift, my bloggy friend!
    I love your cozy nook....I can see myself sitting there with you...having a tea...talking about our 'best' thrift shop finds! Have a great day. and thanks so much for your visit.


    ciao bella
    creative carmelina

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your kitchen looks lovely. You did a great job on the curtains.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Susan, I just love your dining area. Your curtains are wonderful. You are such a great sewer and creative.
    Of course you know I love black and white and you have made it so cozy in that spot.
    Hope you are feeling okay. I think about you always and continue to keep you in prayers.
    Have a nice week.
    Hugs, Celestina Marie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I am so very sorry to hear that you have not been well. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's good that you are keeping busy, despite your health issues. I like your new valances and I too have made all kinds of home decor from sheets including valances, table skirts, and even cushion covers for my window seat.

    I also like the updated look in your kitchen. It looks like a very welcoming spot for meals or to enjoy coffee in the morning. Thank you for dropping by my blog this week too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cute, cute Susan! I love the new tablecloth and the curtains are so darling. The trim is the icing on the cake!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  22. You did a great job on those curtains...they are darling!

    ReplyDelete