Monday, January 2, 2012

Tweaking our home.!

Good Evening my friends! I love Christmas and the New Year, but I am so glad the holidays are over. I am ready to settle down to just plain normal.
I hope everyone is doing great! I have been visiting around blog land to see what ideas I can borrow from others. There are some really creative people out there in blogland.
I wanted to post some of the tweaking I have been doing this week in the house. I don't know why, but everything I did I am not quite satisfied with. I guess I am in a mood. So you may see some more tweaking in the near future.
For now I hope you enjoy and leave comments and suggestions.



Projects I did today!

As you view the photos you will see how I utilized some of the projects I completed today. I was in spray paint heaven.







Fire Place

I decided to change out the look of the mantle after Christmas. The candle sticks I had there before and decided to keep them on the mantle The two transfer ware plates are Staffordshire England. Since I had a nautical print on the wall above the fireplace, I thought the plates would fit right in to the decor.
The lantern is a yard sale find that I painted. The faux books I use to have on the credenza. I shopped the house for skinny candlestick.













CREDENZA

I love the rose print hanging on the wall. I was so glad to be able to find these roses to match the print. The vase they are in came from a yard sale. The candlesticks I was going to paint them today, but decided I liked them just as they were. I cleaned them up with some polish and placed the little birdies on top. They were a dollar for the pair at the yard sale.
The lamps I like, but not on this credenza. I feel they are too big for the piece of furniture. But the hubby likes the look,so I kept them there just for him.








ENTERTAINMENT CENTER


This what I did with the top of the entertainment center. I love the Champagne bucket with the flowers. I do not like the silver bowl in the center with the pine cones I am at a loss of what to do with the middle as I can not block the view of the television.
I found the book at Marshalls today. The fennel thing I had and the candle sticks. I already had the bird. The candle stick the bird is setting on , was gold, but of course it is now Oil Rubbed Bronze.
If anyone has any suggestions of what I can do to make this entertainment center look more attractive, please give me some ideas. I have tweaked this thing a million times and never like what I do completely.









Entry Hall


This is photos of the things in our entry hall. I plan to change it all out at some point with some new pieces of furniture. But for now the furniture I have will have to do.




I found this table at Salvation Army. I bought the lamp and the other tall thingie at Kirklands.








I found the flower arrangement on the little table at a yard sale for a dollar.








This is the print hanging over the little table in the entry hall. Its a very cheap print from Family Dollar. I intend to change it when I find something nice I really like.






I found this star at Marshalls today, it was on clearance for four dollars. It is made out recycled paper. I thought it was ugly as it was, so I painted it of course, my favorite spray paint Oil Rubbed Bronze..........ahhhhhhh much better!





There was on yard sale this past Saturday. I paid five dollars. I would not normally spend more than three dollars for something like this, but I caved on this one.


26 comments:

  1. I was looking for the star! What would we do without spray paint???? I love ORB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan....all your treasures...it's like walking into a valued display at a museum. Each and every room. I'm totally impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you did to the star. I know your hubby likes the lamps where they are but have you tried them on the buffet? He might like them there too. I love all your candlesticks and love the birds on them....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susan-

    You have a real eye for bargains. Maybe you could put some books on the entertainment center. Something like that would soften the look, but not obstruct the all important tv viewing. At least that's the way the men in my family see it.

    Regarding the lamps, why not compromise? I think one would be fine where it is, but maybe find a spot for the other one someplace else? Maybe that would make both of you happy.

    Thank you so, so much for adding my party button to your blog! See you on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely how you displayed these pieces! Your home is warm, inviting and so cozy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have gorgeous things!! Just a thought, but why not try just one lamp and put the other one somewhere else?

    carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've been busy, Susan! You have SO many lovely pieces. And I like the idea of spray paint heaven :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that star, too, and what you did with it. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan, you have been a busy lady! The tweaking never stops! LOL! I love ORB, too! I've transformed many things with that paint!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've been busy, Susan! Tweaking is what helps make our house a home. Adding your own special touch and you've done that with each of these projects!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great projects! And five dollars for that pedestal? I'd get it in a heartbeat!

    xoxo
    Myric

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad Christmas is over too!
    Love all your tweaking and everything looks so refreshing :)
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Susan, everything looks great, especially your floral prints. Loved that last item, too.

    I'd buy that in a second. Great job! Susan p.s. Thanks so much for visiting and commenting on my blog. Love your visits.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've been so busy... and I've been so lazy... *winks*... I want to move in the direction you're going and as soon as I get my 2nd wind I shall! *LOL*

    Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Susan, Wow you have been busy and everything looks fabulous. I love that you said you shop the house for something. I do this too. Move things around, give them a better spot and new look.
    I love all your vignettes and I think your entertainment center looks great. You so have a good eye for lifts and elevation of your goodies. It all makes for a great display.
    Now you have inspired my to get my act together and finish all my projects. Been going in circles with the new year. I need a good kick!! LOL
    Love to you, CM

    ReplyDelete
  16. Spray paint heaven LOL!!! Hi Susan, you've been a busy gal. Things seem so hum drum after the holidays! yes I think I may need to do a little tweeking myself. Great re-dos!
    Hugs Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everything looks great Susan! You have been a very busy girl! Love the redo with the paints! Hope you have a fun week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Susan, Your home looks lovely! Great buy on the mirrored stand.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Susan! I was just wondering what my other bloggy friends do as far as decorating following Christmas. This helps so much!!! I'm so excited to be your newest follower!!!

    XO, Aimee

    PS Sweet grandkids Susan!!! They're blessed to have you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, Susan. You did some great tweaking. The star looks wonderful...what did we ever do before ORB? I've used it on several projects and really like the look.
    The silver pedestal is such a great find. Thanks for stopping by. I'm a new follower.
    Babs

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Susan, the tweaking looks great! Glad to hear that I am not alone with being happy the holidays are over. I love Christmas but I am always ready for a fresh and new start.

    Have a blessed day,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Susan, thanks for coming by. Your house is so nice,neat and tidy. Being we are both "artists"...we have a tendency to kinda have things half finished laying around...and at times, if I need my husbands help with a project it may take MONTHS before he gets around to it...so that I can finish it. Looks like you are most self sufficient.
    ON the enterntainment center, I would have just a bit larger ( one or two more pieces) group of things at one end and those being a bit taller and tapered down towards...the center of the table also towards the other shorter items at the far end.
    JMOPO.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Susan, You've been a busy girl with all this tweaking after the holidays! Have you considered using a larger bowl or platter in the middle of the entertainment center under the tv? Fill it with something seasonal just enough to keep the level right under the height of the tv. I think it might fill the area up a bit more. You could also choose to raise the candlestick or the champagne bucket onto a stack of books. Hope you get it looking the way you want- sometimes it takes multiple tries! Don't I know it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  24. I get into the mood to change things up after the holidays, too...like a fresh start!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Susan!
    I always love seeing your finds! I also love that champagne bucket with the flowers...so pretty! And I would've caved too for that cake stand. I think it was a steal and could be used for so many vignetting opportunities *winks*
    As for that space under the TV I would use some books (some upright and some not) The more interesting and aged the better...That way you have a good excuse to do some more thriftin'....Not that you need an excuse if you're anything like me *winks* Then I'd flank the two sides with larger items like topiaries or maybe a larger birdcage or two? Something that has strong presence and structure. JMHO Vanna

    ReplyDelete
  26. You sure have been busy with changing things around. I find myself doing this all the time...shopping in my own home. I think the one thing that really stands out to me would be the entertainment center. I think it needs one or two much larger pieces, taller maybe.
    Love the cake plate, I would have bought that in an instant.

    ReplyDelete